Energy efficiency is top of mind for most homeowners since it helps save money. Besides this important fact, several simple lighting upgrades are a virtually effortless way to reduce your carbon footprint.
Other benefits of energy efficient lighting include huge maintenance savings and reduced electrical demand on the power grid. Less noticeable but significant benefits include improved lighting quality and better light distribution inside the home.
Still better news is that any homeowner can implement eco-friendly lighting options.
Here are five of the best lighting upgrades for a more energy efficient home.
- Exchange fluorescent bulbs for LED bulbs. Changing your lightbulbs is the easiest method of increasing your home’s energy efficiency. Indeed, converting to LED (Light Emitting Diodes) or CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulbs can result in a phenomenal power decrease of up to 90 percent! LEDs are an effective strategy to lower energy consumption and operational costs for both residential and commercial builds. In addition, LED light bulbs are free of mercury and maintain a significantly longer lifespan than incandescent bulbs.
The same exchange can be applied to holiday lighting. According to the BC Hydro Power Smart website, British Columbia is a world leader in embracing LED holiday lights. Undeniably, switching outdated bulbs for LEDs reduces electrical consumption, is easy to do and empowers everyone in making a positive impact on the environment.
- Update old light fixtures. If your lighting system is 10-15 years old or more, you should absolutely consider new fixtures. Not only may new Energy Star light fixtures run more efficiently, but they also reduce electrical bills. Up your game by purchasing fixtures made with recycled materials; buy local to avoid excess packaging and shipping costs. What a sensational way to reduce your carbon footprint!
- Install motion sensor lights. Wave goodbye to turning lights on and off! Motion sensor lights are an ecological lighting option both indoors and outdoors. They may be attached to front entryway lights for added security. They may also be used in any room of the home, from the bathroom to the laundry room.
The added bonus of motion-sensing lights are the significant energy savings with LED technology. Networked lighting control systems also have energy management features, such as scheduled lighting for when you’re away, dimming, and more.
- Install exterior solar lighting. This is your opportunity to harness the power of the sun! Exterior solar lights can last up to an astonishing 10 years. Low maintenance, they may be hung throughout trees in string lighting, or installed throughout landscaping and decks. Since solar-powered light fixtures charge during the day with built-in solar panels, they’ll shine bright at night.
- Upgrade to a smart lighting system. No more need to stress about wasting energy when you’re away from home. With a smart lighting system, you can turn off a light from work with a tap on your phone app. And since most smart systems use LED bulbs, you’ll be way ahead of the eco-friendly lighting game. A bonus feature is timers that you can set to automatically dim or turn off lights.
Now you have the best lighting upgrade tips to save you money. And with a qualified electrician from an experienced residential electrical company, you’re well on your way to a brighter future.
Our amazing electrical technicians at Walls Electrical Ltd. keep informed about the latest energy efficient technology. We are here to help you improve your living environment the eco-friendly way. To book an appointment today with one of our electricians please call 250-740-0970.