Common Electrical Problems to Avoid

Unless you’re a certified electrical contractor, you may not be aware of common electrical problems to avoid in your home. Electrical issues are one of the main causes of house fires in Canada. Electric shock inside the home can also result in death. By recognizing these electrical hazards and taking steps to avoid them, you can keep your family and property safe.

  1. Neglecting to have an electrical inspection. Persistent electrical problems should be addressed as soon as possible. Prior to the purchase of a home, prospective homebuyers should absolutely hire an electrical safety inspection. If you suspect a problem with your current home wiring, a licensed electrician can provide a thorough and safe electrical assessment.
  2. Tackling a project without any electrical knowledge. Most new wiring and lighting projects should be executed by an experienced electrician. Projects such as wiring for new light fixtures, adding dimmers, switches, or outlets, or installing a new home theatre system should be performed by an electrical expert.
  3. Ignoring the signs of faulty wiring. Homeowners that don’t solve these early warning signs without delay are risking potential fire hazards and electrical shock: flickering/dimming lights, hot light fixtures, burning smells, frequently blown fuses or circuit breakers, or light switches/outlets that emit shocks.
  4. Unnecessarily high electrical bills. Why would you want to throw money out the door? You can reduce electrical costs by repairing damaged wiring and circuits. You may further avoid wasting money on electricity by unplugging appliances and chargers when not in use.
  5. Overloaded circuits. A circuit overload occurs when, for instance, a new home entertainment system is installed. Most homes do not have enough power points to handle something so big. Homeowners can prevent this from occurring by spreading electrical throughout the home so they’re not overloading a single circuit. In addition, remove devices that are not in use because phone chargers draw power even when not connected to your phone. Other causes of persistent tripped breakers include a faulty appliance, damaged wiring, or circuit breaker deterioration.
  6. Light switches that don’t work. If you have light switches that don’t seem to trigger anything, it may signal circuit or wiring problems that need to be fixed. Further, dimmer switches that fail to adjust correctly may need to be replaced.
  7. Wet electrical appliances. While this may seem obvious, it’s surprising how many people forget to avoid using power tools in wet locations, like the bathroom, kitchen, or outside. Homeowners need to keep electrical appliances dry and unplug them before wiping them down safely.
  8. Misusing electrical cords. Undeniably, electrical cords can quickly take over living spaces. Homeowners must avoid running cords under carpets or furniture. Nor should cords not be used in high-traffic areas as they pose a tripping hazard. Moreover, extension cords should only be used temporarily. Recycle worn or frayed cords or plugs. Plugs that hang out of sockets should also be replaced.

Electrical problems in the home can pose a major threat to your safety. Therefore, it’s essential to know how to avoid them and thereby, eliminate the danger of fire and electric shock.

Our residential electrical contractors can help you protect your home investment and family.
Contact Walls Electrical Ltd. any time for electrical services. We have licensed Nanaimo electricians available for residential upgrades and repairs. We address electrical issues safely. Call us at 250-740-0970, or email us at

Leave a comment

Vancouver Island Electrician

Your Mid Island Full Service Electrical Contractor
(Ladysmith – Nanaimo – Parksville – Qualicum)
Dependable - Family owned - Experienced - Fair prices - Reputable


3049 B McCauley Dr
Nanaimo, BC
V9T 1V7

TSBC Licence # 0202887

Follow Us

Copyright - 2022 Walls Electrical Ltd. All rights reserved. Marketing system by EBMG.