How to Check for Bad Wiring in your Home

Bad wiring inside the home can be due to a number of reasons. For instance, problems with wiring may be traced back to poorly installed lighting by unskilled individuals. Other wiring issues may simply be due to wear and tear, or old age.

Whatever the reason, Walls Electrical has several practical tips for how to check for bad wiring in your home. That way you can hire a certified electrician to install new, upgrade wiring safely. They can also make necessary repairs that ensure the welfare of your family.

Arm yourself with a good flashlight and get started right away.

  1. Turn off the power! Before you begin, make sure to turn off the entire circuit and switch off appropriate breaker(s) on the main electrical panel. You can then test circuit wires or devices with a voltage tester. This inexpensive tool may be purchased at most hardware stores or online. The tester senses voltage through the wiring insulation—no light means no voltage and repairs are required.
  2. Inspect for damaged wires. Specifically, look for frayed or chewed cables. Rodents and pets can gnaw electrical cords. This type of damage poses a serious electrical shock and fire hazard. Chewed electrical cables must be replaced.
  3. Use your nose to sniff out burning and strange odours. A burning smell indicates fire damage may have already occurred. This poses an electrical issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. If you smell smoke or other strange odours at electrical panels and outlets, contact an electrician right away.
  4. Note tripping circuit breakers. When breakers trip several times per month or more, a potentially dangerous problem is surely the cause. When a wiring system is overloaded, the circuit breaker trips to shut the power off. This signals to homeowners something may be amiss with the wiring and demands attention.
  5. Note dimming or buzzing lighting throughout the home. Outdated or damaged wiring is typically the source of buzzing, flickering lights. Time for an upgrade!
  6. Inspect outlets for scorch marks and discolourations. This is a sure sign of heat damage. Impaired wiring releases heat, resulting in black marks on walls around outlets.
  7. Check for loose connections. Switches and outlets can loosen over time. This makes connections to electrical wires ineffective and unsafe. Replace cracked or broken cover and switch plates as soon as possible.

A licensed electrician can also inspect your home wiring and replace damaged wiring.

Avoid becoming a heartbreaking electrical home fire statistic. Follow these tips to spot the warning signs for outdated, damaged, or poorly installed wiring. Then contact our residential electrical wiring professionals for skilled repairs and replacements. We’re your licensed central Vancouver Island electrical company. We’re here to help you and your family stay safe inside your home.

Leave a comment

Vancouver Island Electrician

Your Mid Island Full Service Electrical Contractor
(Ladysmith – Nanaimo – Parksville – Qualicum)
Dependable - Family owned - Experienced - Fair prices - Reputable


3049 B McCauley Dr
Nanaimo, BC
V9T 1V7

TSBC Licence # 0202887

Follow Us

Copyright - 2022 Walls Electrical Ltd. All rights reserved. Marketing system by EBMG.