5 Ways to Protect Your Pets from Electrical Hazards

Homeowners are typically mindful of how to protect themselves, family members, and home from electrical hazards. Unfortunately, some people overlook how to protect beloved pets from electrical hazards, sometimes with tragic results.

In fact, electrical shock can cause serious burns and death in both humans and pets. Our staff at Walls Electrical appreciate our furry family members. That’s why we’re here to share 5 ways to protect your pets from electrical hazards:

  1. Place electrical cords safely out of harms way. Not only can cords pose a danger of electrocution to chewing puppies, but they can turn into a strangulation hazard. Excess cables should always be wound and placed out of the way of pets. A cord winder or cable brackets are ideal for securing cords. Cords near walkways may also be safely tucked away behind cabinets and other hard furniture. Avoid placing electrical cords underneath carpeting or furniture, such as sofas and chairs, since it poses a fire hazard.
  2. Train your pet. Investing time to teach your cat or dog where he or she can or cannot go may be a lifesaver. Increase pet safety by deterring them from certain areas of the home where electrical cords or wiring could pose a problem. Spray a scent to deter a cat or dog from a room or spritz them with a water bottle if they venture into the wrong area until they get the idea. Positive reinforcement for obeying your commands also works—a dog rewarded with pets or a small treat learns quickly.
  3. Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. This step has the added benefit of reducing your electrical bill. Being in the habit of unplugging electronics is something the entire family can get onboard with. Then, when your puppy gnaws through an unplugged electrical cord, he won’t receive a nasty shock.
  4. Avoid purchasing cheap electronics. This could end up saving you money and the life of your pet. Cheaply manufactured power cords are much more susceptible to overheating and sparking a fire. Save money in the long run as well since quality electronics last longer.
  5. Place hot electrical devices safely out of reach of animals. Space heaters are perfect for keeping rooms warm and cozy inside the home. However, they pose burning hazards for romping pets.

When the worst happens, being pro-active with a good plan can save your pet’s precious life. First, unplug whatever caused the harm. Check your pet’s pulse and perform CPR (you can learn this on YouTube). Apply a cold compress to burns. Ask a family member to phone your emergency veterinarian for advice. Closely monitor your pet for the next day to safeguard that he or she is still breathing and acting normally.

In a nutshell, it is well worth your time to take appropriate safety measures for the wellbeing of your pet. Cats, dogs, and other small pets are vulnerable to electrical shocks simply because they don’t know any better.

Pet-proof your entire home and shield your furry loved ones from the dangers of electricity. Share your living space safely, secure in the knowledge your critter buddy is protected from electrical accidents.

Leave a comment

Vancouver Island Electrician

Your Mid Island Full Service Electrical Contractor
(Ladysmith – Nanaimo – Parksville – Qualicum)
Dependable - Family owned - Experienced - Fair prices - Reputable

Address

3049 B McCauley Dr
Nanaimo, BC
V9T 1V7

Follow Us

Copyright - 2020 Walls Electrical Ltd. All rights reserved. Marketing system by EBMG.