Undoubtedly, the more information you can pick up beforehand, the better you can prepare for a smooth flowing project. Now is not the time to be shy about asking 20 questions!
Walls Electrical offers both residential and commercial electrical services, by certified electricians. But before you hire an electrician for your project, here are 5 critical questions to ask before determining which one is right for you.
- Are all the electricians licensed and experienced for the project at hand?
- There is a considerable difference between what a residential electrician is trained to complete and what a commercial electrician is trained to undertake.
- A residential electrician typically works in homes and apartment complexes. A commercial electrician typically works in large office buildings, retail stores, and restaurants.
- General residential work encompasses wiring new homes, installing light fixtures, and general home electrical systems.
- Commercial electrical work encompasses the installation of transformers, generators, as well as heating and lighting systems in entire buildings.
- What is the timeline on starting the project and completion?
- You should absolutely discuss a schedule prior to hiring an electrical contractor.
- Also check on the company’s ability to work weekends or evenings if required to allow for a business’s hours.
- A reputable electrical company will do their best to accommodate your timeline. At the least, they should be enthusiastic to start as soon as possible.
- Whom and what will they bring to get the job done?
- You need to know what to expect on your job site so you can coordinate other contractors and subcontractors.
- Ask how many workers will be on the site, who is the electrician with the most experience, and what type of tools and vehicles must fit in the workspace.
- How to they charge for services?
- Prior to hiring an electrical contractor, you should always ask how they charge for travel, service fees, and any other pertinent costs for them to visit a job site.
- Ask for an estimate or if they have several cost options to choose from. This helps you avoid hidden charges or additional fees later on, that won’t blow your budget out of the water.
- Do they have good online reviews, references, and testimonials?
- No company should take offense when you ask for references from other jobs they’ve completed.
- Read online client testimonials and reviews.
- Go one step further and view the company rating on the Better Busines Bureau site (BBB Serving Vancouver Island).
- Ask friends or business associates for references who have had a positive experience with an electrician.
Sadly, budgeting on the cheapest electrician you can find could result in an expensive, lethal mistake. In fact, incorrectly installed wiring or a faulty electrical system could burn your home or business to the ground.
Ask the right questions and select an experienced, licensed electrician. When you have confidence that your project is wired to standards, rest assured you can get on with more important things, like enjoying your newly wired space.
Know that you can trust our team here at Walls Electrical. Call us at 250-740-0970 to speak with one of our licensed professionals today.